- Remove the lamp from the box packaging and place the lamp into the light fitting.
- The lamp will now operate as a normal household lamp and can be turned on/off using the light switch. The internal Li-Ion battery will charge whenever the light switch is set to ON.
- The lamp needs to be charged for 5-6 hours in order for it to last the entire 4 hours during a power failure.
Power Failure Operation
- During a power failure the lamp will operate as an emergency lamp and switch on automatically as long as the light switch is set to ON.
- If the light switch is OFF the user must turn on the lamp using the light switch if light is required.
- During a power failure the lamp will last for 4 hours and can be turned on and off using the light switch.
- When power has been restored the lamp will operate as a normal household lamp and the internal Li-Ion battery will charge whenever the light switch is set to ON.
The lamps cannot be tested in a conventional way by connecting the lamp to the mains and switching the mains voltage off.
The emergency lamp detects the capacitance between the Live and Neutral lines in order to determine if the lamp is connected to a fitting or not. In a normal household there will be numerous other lamps connected to the circuit breaker for all of the lights. These other lights will form a capacitance between the Live and Neutral lines.
Therefore during a power failure the emergency lamp will detect that there is no mains voltage and then read the capacitance between the Live and Neutral lines. If there is a capacitance the lamp will know that there is power failure and that the lamp is fitted to a light fitting and will turn on. When the lamp switch is turned off the capacitance reading will be reduced to zero and the lamp will know to turn off.
The only way to test the emergency lamps is to test it in a normal household where there is numerous other lamps connected to the lamp circuit breaker. The light circuit breaker can then be turned off and the emergency lamp will turn on if the light switch is turned on.